Chicken Tetrazzini is a delicious chicken casserole dish served with a rich creamy Parmesan sauce. It doesn’t require much effort to make, but does need need about 25 minutes in the oven. Try this dish with a side of asparagus to serve your guests at dinner!
Total time: 60 minutes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1Â½ cups 2% milk
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced or shredded Parmesan cheese
- 80z sliced mushrooms
- pepper, nutmeg
- 1 pound macaroni
- 1 pound chicken
- Preheat the oven to 375ÂºF.
- Cook macaroni as indicated on package.
- Meanwhile, cook the chicken until no longer pink inside and saute the mushrooms. See cook’s notes below on cooking mushrooms.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat and add the flour while stirring. Heat the butter-flour mixture until it thickens – about 1 minute. Add the bouillon and bring to a boil while stirring. Add milk and return to a boil just briefly. Reduce heat and season to taste with pepper and nutmeg. Stir in Â½ cup Parmesan cheese and continue to simmer until the sauce thickens (about 5 minutes).
- Mix the pasta, chicken, mushrooms and sauce together and transfer into a large casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining Parmesan on top and place in the oven at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes or until cheese has browned.
- Here’s what the end product was like for me, enjoy!
- When cooking mushrooms you always want to cook them on high heat to avoid losing all of the moisture in the mushroom. Slowly simmered mushrooms tend to be more rubbery to eat compared to mushrooms cooked over high heat which tend to be crunchy.
- Chicken Tetrazzini doesn’t offer much in the form of vegetables, I recommend serving this dish with a side of greens such as the green asparagus I mentioned above.