Best Homemade Vinaigrette Salad Dressing.. EverSeptember 22nd, 2009 | Posted by in Quick and Easy | Salad Recipes | Side Dishes | Vegetarian
If you love a good salad with your meals read on, this vinaigrette is the best you’ll make and has always been a huge hit with all of our guests. It’s so easy, and you can pretty much always find what you need in your cupboard! In the recipe below, I’ll explain how to make the dressing, feel free to toss it with your favorite salad ingredients. My personal favorites are: buttercrunch or red-leaf lettuce, vine tomatoes, and if I find some in the fridge, I’ll throw in a sliced carrot and quartered radishes. Yumm!
Total time: 5 minutes
- 5 tbs of olive oil
- 2 tbs of red-wine vinegar – use other vinegar if you don’t have any red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sharp mustard (Dijon)
- 1 small shallot (diced) – about a tablespoon of chopped onion works as well!
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 2 twigs of fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 fresh basil leaves or 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1 twig of fresh rosemary or a pinch of dried rosemary
- Take a large salad bowl and mix the mustard with the vinegar.
- Add the shallot, curry, thyme, basil and rosemary and stir a few times.
- Add the olive oil and stir vigorously until the vinegar and oil combine to make a smooth mixutre. You may consider using a whisk to do this.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, toss with your favorite vegetable medley and serve! Easy as salad!!
- I’ve made so many variations on this salad dressing, it’s not even funny. Try using different oils, or adding nuts such as pine nuts or walnuts to give the dressing a unique flavor. I love using fresh herbs, so use them when you can, and throw in some fresh chives, parsley or whatever else you think might go well with the salad! If you’ve tried something that you thought worked particularly well – do share!