Mashed Potatoes with ChivesSeptember 16th, 2009 | Posted by in Quick and Easy | Side Dishes | Vegetarian
This side dish is excellent with steaks or sausages, or any other red meat dish. The subtle chives flavor, hidden and softened by the creamy mashed potatoes, brings out the best of red meats. Makes 4 servings
Total time: 25 minutes
- 3/4 lbs. potoatoes
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 5-6 blades of chives, finely chopped
- Peel the potatoes, and cut into about 2-inch cubes (or smaller).
- Rinse the potoatoes once through cold water.
- Place the potatoes in a pot of cold water with a dash of salt, and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, heat up butter, cream, and milk under medium heat, and remove when they start to simmer.
- Boil the potoates until they are soft enough for a fork to past through.Â Drain the potoates in a colander.
- Using a masher or a fork, mash the potatoes half way, then add butter, milk, cream and chives.Â Continue to mash until you get the desired level of smoothness.
- If you have extra chives, garnish with chives on top and serve.
- For a low-fat option of this recipe, substitute the cream and milk with low-fat milk.
- Try an alternative flavor by substituting the chives with a small bunch of parsley, chopped finely.