Savory baked figsSeptember 15th, 2009 | Posted by in Appetizer | Quick and Easy | Side Dishes | Snacks
It’s hard not to love figs.Â They have a very delicate flavor, and are great as appetizers as well as desserts.Â This recipe complements the fig with a mild goat cheese that gives this dish a rich flavor, and a serrano ham that gives your tongue a sharp wake-up call!
Total time: 15 minutes
- 4 ripe figs, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 ounce Soignon goat cheese
- 4 slices of Serrano (Spanish) ham
- Preheat the oven to 485 degrees F.
- Cut off the stem and bottom of the figs.Â From the top, cut an “X” into each fig three-quarters way down.Â Stuff the “X” with goat cheese.
- Wrap each fig with Serrano ham, and place in a heat-safe casserole or plate.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve while it’s still hot!
- I generally serve this as an appetizer, but you can easily transform this into a light dessert by leaving the ham out, and drizzle with honey after you take it out of the oven.
- If you find yourself at the grocery store wondering which goat cheese to buy, I recommend the Sainte Maure.